June Birthstones - Pearl and Moonstone
Both the pearl and moonstone are considered Junes birthstone and they are used interchangeably. Which do you prefer?
Where they can be found:
Junes birthstone, the moonstone, is named because of its uncanny resemblance to the iridescent sheen of the moon. It was considered by ancient civilizations to be a sacred stone, bestowing the wearer with great spiritual understanding. A gift of this stone is symbolic of health and longevity.
Moonstones can be found in Brazil, Germany, India, Madagascar, Mexico, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Tanzania and the United States.
Facts about Moonstones
- Moonstone is typically colorless, but it can occur in a wide range of colors, including gray, mocha brown, yellow, orange, green, pink, blue and white.
- Moonstone typically occurs with translucent clarity. Transparent specimens are uncommon, but not unheard of. Transparent moonstone is considered most valuable.
- Top quality moonstone can show an incredible "three-dimensional" depth of color, which no other gemstone can replicate, making moonstone almost unmistakable.
Facts about Pearls
- Pearls are formed inside mollusks such as oysters and mussels.
- The saltwater pearls, also known as the Akoya pearls are extracted from oysters, where as the freshwater pearls are collected from mussels.
- These pearls derive their distinctive colors from the inner elements of the shells, which range from white and ivory to pink, black, purple and even gold.
- The oldest pearl jewelry ever discovered was found in the sarcophagus of a Persian Princess who died in 520 BC.
The June birthstone, pearl, has long been a symbol of purity. Pearl is worn to calm a restless mind and to control anger. It is believed that people who wear pearl can succeed in creative work and it is also linked with a successful married life.
Famous Women with June Birthdays
June 1 - Marilyn Monroe - was an American actress and model.
June 4 - Angelina Jolie - American actress, filmmaker, and humanitarian.
June 9 - Natalie Portman - actress, producer and director.
June 20 - Nicole Kidman - Australian actress and film producer.
June 22 - Meryl Streep - American actress and singer.