Where it can be found
- Most of the precious opal deposits that have been discovered are in Australia. The mines of Australia produce at least 90% of the world's precious opal.
- In addition to Brazil, tourmaline is mined in Tanzania, Nigeria, Kenya, Madagascar,Mozambique, Namibia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Malawi.
- Opal is formed from rain. There is some conjecture on how exactly this precious gemstone forms, but many believe it is formed when water from rain seeps down into crevasses in the rock. Once the water evaporates, the silica that is left behind dries out and hardens into precious opal.
- Opal has been found on Mars! It is one of only a handful of gemstones that have ever been discovered outside of our planet (the other being Peridot from outer space).
- Bi-colored and multicolored tourmaline may be green at one end and pink at the other, watermelon tourmaline is green on the outside and pink on the inside.
- Tourmaline is available in a wide variety of colors from black to bluish-black, dark brown, yellow, medium brown, blue to neon blue, lime to dark forest green, red and reddish purple, yellow, pink, and colorless.
The October birthstone, opal, symbolizes faithfulness and confidence. The word comes from the Latin opalus, meaning “precious jewel.” Necklaces with opals set in them were worn to repel evil and to protect eyesight.
The October birthstone is also pink tourmaline. These gemstones are a symbol for love, peace and joy. They represent the energy of relaxation by transforming negative energy into positive.
Tourmaline – Tourmaline has become the primary birthstone of October. It is also a favorite among jewelry collectors and jewelry designers alike. The reason is because Tourmaline can be found in such an array of colors that there is something to suit almost anyone’s taste. Tourmalines are also known for their bi-color and tri-color forms, meaning that 2 or even 3 different colors exist distinctly within the same gemstone.
Opal – Opals are the older birthstone of October and they are still extremely popular and well-regarded for their colorful beauty and radiance. Opal derives from the Greek meaning “to see a change” of color. Opals change appearance depending on their backgrounds and the base gemstone itself vary widely in color from milky white all the way through to black.
Famous Women with October Birthdays
October 2 - Kelly Ripa - American actress, dancer, talk show host, and television producer.
October 18 - Freida Pinto - Indian actress who has appeared mainly in American and British films.
October 21 - Carrie Fisher - was an American actress, writer, and humorist. She first become known for playing Princess Leia in the Star Wars film series.
October 26 - Rita Wilson - American actress, singer, activist, and producer.
October 28 - Julia Roberts - American actress and producer.
Where it can be found
Sapphire is found in only a few locations in the world. The three most famous regions for blue sapphire are Kashmir, Burma and Sri Lanka. Sapphire has also been mined in Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and India.
- Sapphire is the birthstone for September. It is also a traditional gift for those celebrating 5th or 45th anniversaries.
- The most valuable sapphires are a mid color blue with a concentrated hue which remains constant under all lighting conditions.
- Sapphires are often associated with loyalty and dignity and are a favorite gemstone for royalty.
The September birthstone, sapphire, was once thought to guard against evil and poisoning. Traditionally a favorite stone of priests and kings, the sapphire symbolizes purity and wisdom. Sapphires are the birthstone of September. They have long been prized for their beauty and the belief that they would protect loved ones from envy and harm. Blue sapphires are the most popular colors; however, sapphires are a variety of gem called corundum and they occur in all colors of the rainbow.
Famous Women with September Birthdays
September 2 - Salma Hayek - Mexican-American film actress, producer, and former model.
September 4 - Beyoncé - American singer, songwriter and actress.
September 16 - Amy Poehler - American actress, comedian, director, producer, voice artist and writer.
September 20 - Sophia Loren - Italian film actress.
September 26 - Serena Williams - American professional tennis player.
Where it can be found
Gem quality peridot comes from Arizona, Burma, Norway, islands in the Red Sea, Hawaii and is sometimes found in meteorites.
- According to the National Association of Jewelers, peridot has been the official birthstone of August along with Sardonyx since 1912.
- There is no synthetic or manmade version of peridot, but imitations do exist. These are usually made of glass or natural tourmaline.
- Peridot is a relatively inexpensive gemstone under 4 carats. Any stone weighing over 4 carats costs considerably more. Stones over 10 carats are exceedingly rare and therefore expensive.
The August birthstone, peridot, symbolizes strength. It is sometimes called the evening emerald for its light green color. Peridot is August’s primary birthstone. It is a gemstone which forms deep within the Earth and is typically brought to the surface through volcanic eruptions. For this reason in Hawaii peridot is said to symbolize the tears of Pele, the Pele, the Hawaiin goddess of volcanoes, fire, lightning, and wind. Peridot is available from yellowish green all way through to brown, though lime green and olive green shades are typically the most popular.
Famous Women with August Birthdays
August 7 - Charlize Theron - South African and American actress and film producer.
August 11 - Viola Davis - American producer and actress of stage, screen, and television.
August 15 - Jennifer Lawrence - American actress.
August 16 - Madonna - American singer, songwriter, actress, and businesswoman.
August 20 - Amy Adams - American actress and singer.
The most recently found ruby deposit is in Myanmar. Rubies have historically been mined in Thailand, Cambodia, Burma, India, Afghanistan, Australia, Namibia, Colombia, Japan, Scotland, Brazil and in Pakistan.
- The word ruby comes from the Latin "rubens" which means red.
- Rubies are extremely strong, registering 9 on the Mohs scale of hardness. They are as resilient as sapphires and only slightly softer than diamonds.
- Almost all rubies have flaws. Rubies without imperfections are exceptionally rare and have prices even higher than diamonds of a similar weight and quality.
The July birthstone, ruby, was regarded by ancient Hindus as the “king of gems.” It was believed to protect its wearer from evil. Today, the ruby’s deep-red color signifies love and passion. Rubies are second only two diamonds in terms of their natural hardness and strength.
They are said to signify a variety of very positive traits include wealth, wisdom, health, and success in love. Rubies are most valuable when they are a medium to medium-dark, vivid red or slightly purplish red. If they contain too much purple or orange they will often be dubbed “fancy-color sapphires” instead.
Famous Women with July Birthdays
July 2 - Margot Robbie - Australian actress.
July 5 - Eva Green - French actress and model.
July 10 - Sofia Vergara - Colombian-American actress and model.
July 14 - Jane Lynch - American actress, singer, and comedian.
July 22 - Selena Gomez - American actress and singer.
Both the pearl and moonstone are considered Junes birthstone and they are used interchangeably. Which do you prefer?
Where they can be found:
Junes birthstone, the moonstone, is named because of its uncanny resemblance to the iridescent sheen of the moon. It was considered by ancient civilizations to be a sacred stone, bestowing the wearer with great spiritual understanding. A gift of this stone is symbolic of health and longevity.
Moonstones can be found in Brazil, Germany, India, Madagascar, Mexico, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Tanzania and the United States.
Facts about Moonstones
- Moonstone is typically colorless, but it can occur in a wide range of colors, including gray, mocha brown, yellow, orange, green, pink, blue and white.
- Moonstone typically occurs with translucent clarity. Transparent specimens are uncommon, but not unheard of. Transparent moonstone is considered most valuable.
- Top quality moonstone can show an incredible "three-dimensional" depth of color, which no other gemstone can replicate, making moonstone almost unmistakable.
Facts about Pearls
- Pearls are formed inside mollusks such as oysters and mussels.
- The saltwater pearls, also known as the Akoya pearls are extracted from oysters, where as the freshwater pearls are collected from mussels.
- These pearls derive their distinctive colors from the inner elements of the shells, which range from white and ivory to pink, black, purple and even gold.
- The oldest pearl jewelry ever discovered was found in the sarcophagus of a Persian Princess who died in 520 BC.
The June birthstone, pearl, has long been a symbol of purity. Pearl is worn to calm a restless mind and to control anger. It is believed that people who wear pearl can succeed in creative work and it is also linked with a successful married life.
Famous Women with June Birthdays
June 1 - Marilyn Monroe - was an American actress and model.
June 4 - Angelina Jolie - American actress, filmmaker, and humanitarian.
June 9 - Natalie Portman - actress, producer and director.
June 20 - Nicole Kidman - Australian actress and film producer.
June 22 - Meryl Streep - American actress and singer.
Where is can be found
Most emerald deposits are currently mined in Colombia, Brazil, and Zambia. They are mined throughout the world (Pakistan, Afghanistan, Russia, Australia, United States) but these are the three major sources.
- Emerald is always green. The deeper the color, the more valuable the stone.
- Emerald always has some inclusions. If there are none, it’s more likely to be a synthetic version.
- Emeralds aren’t usually found by themselves. In many locations, you can also find emeralds near large deposits of quartz.
The May birthstone, emerald, was one of Cleopatra’s favorite gems. It has long been associated with fertility, rebirth, and love. Ancient Romans went so far as to dedicate this stone to Venus, the goddess of love and beauty. Today, it is thought that emeralds signify wisdom, growth, and patience.
Emerald brings happiness, prosperity, success, and goodness. Emerald is also believed to cure ailments and legends say that emeralds have bewitching and magical properties.
Famous Women with May Birthdays
May 5 - Adele - English singer-songwriter.
May 14 - Cate Blanchett - Australian actress and theatre director.
May 18 - Tina Fey - American actress, comedian, writer, and producer.
May 20 - Cher - American singer and actress.
May 25 - Octavia Spencer - American actress and author.
Aprils birthstone is a diamond but since a diamond can be out of the price range of many also consider clear crystal quartz to be April Birthstone. Crystal quartz is just as sparkly but at a fraction of the cost.
Where it can be found
Diamonds are present in about 35 countries. South Africa, Russia and Botswana are the main producers of gem diamond while Australia produces most of the industrial diamond. They are also found in India, Brazil, China, Canada and the United States.
- Diamonds are the most expensive stones in the world - I looked it up and found the red diamond valued at 1 million dollars a carat. The pink star diamond at almost 1.4 million per carat. They are gorgeous!
- Did you know that diamonds are available in just about every color from the clear white diamond all the way to the striking black diamonds (yes, there are black diamonds and they are stunning!)
- In ancient times many people believed diamonds were tears of the Gods.
A diamond to many means everlasting, eternal love. It also is a symbol of purity, innocence and courage. Diamonds are often associated with love and commitment and are now the traditional stone of engagement and wedding rings.
Famous Women With April Birthdays
April 15 - Emma Watson who is most known for her role as Hermonie Granger in the Harry Potter film series as well as the new Beauty and the Beast film. Did you know in her younger years she attended a school called The Dragon School? How cool is that?
April 17 - Jennifer Garner Actress who was in Alias and 13 going on 30 among many other shows and movies.
April 21st Queen Elizabeth II The Queen of England and the longest reigning queen in world history. I bet she owns more than a few diamonds!
April 24 - Barbara Streisand Singer and actress singer, songwriter, actress and producer. My personal favorite is 'Don't Rain on My Parade'. I love channeling my inner Barbara and belting it.
April 25 - Ella Fitzgerald jazz singer referred to as the "First Lady of Song"
April birthdays, what do you think of your stone?
Where it can be found
The majority of aquamarine is found in Brazil. Other important deposits are in Angola, Kenya, central Madagascar, Malawi, Nigeria, Mozambique, Pakistan, the Ural Mountains in Russia, Tanzania, Colorado/USA, and Zambia.
- Aquamarine is the wedding anniversary gemstone for the 19th year of marriage.
- Aquamarine is associated with the zodiac sign of Pisces and the planet Neptune.
- Aquamarine is a member of the beryl family and ranges in color from an almost colorless pale blue to blue-green or teal.
- Aquamarines are often heat treated to change a blue-green or teal colored stone to a pure blue. This results in a permanent color change.
The March birthstone, aquamarine, was thought to cure heart, liver, and stomach diseases—all one had to do was drink the water in which the gem had been soaking.
March's first birthstone, aquamarine is a pale blue colored gemstone and is associated with foresight, knowledge, and inspiration.
Aquamarine's soothing blue color is believed to bring mental clarity and releases negative energy from the wearer. Aquamarine brings courage, creativity, perception, hope and self-expression.
Famous Women with March Birthdays
March 22 - Reese Witherspoon - is an American actress and producer.
March 25 - Sarah Jessica Parker - is an American actress, producer, and designer.
March 27 - Mariah Carey - is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, and actress.
March 28 - Lady Gaga - is an American singer, songwriter and actress.
March 30 - Celine Dion - is a French Canadian singer and businesswoman.
Where it can be found
Amethyst is mined in Brazil, Uruguay, Sri Lanka, Siberia, Canada, India, Bolivia, and Argentina and in the U.S.; most of the Amethyst comes from Zambia.
- Amethyst was once revered as the "jewel of the gods”.
- Amethyst is the official gemstone of the province of Ontario.
- Amethyst has been used to symbolize deep love, happiness, humility, sincerity and wealth.
- Leonardo da Vinci believed amethyst had the power to control evil thoughts, to quicken intelligence, and to make men shrewd in business matters.
Like January, February has only one official gemstone and it is the amethyst. Amethysts are purple quartz and they are found throughout the world.
The February birthstone, amethyst, is said to strengthen relationships and give its wearer courage. At one time, only royalty could wear the gem. Amethyst is a beautiful purple stone associated with sincerity, peace of mind and good health. Amethyst is a symbol of protection and has the power to overcome difficulties. Encourages self-control and strengthens the bond in a love relationship.
Famous Women with February Birthdays
February 2 - Shakira - is a Colombian singer, songwriter, dancer, and record producer.
February 10 - Chloe Grace Moretz - is an American actress and model. Best known for her roles is movies such as Kick-Ass, Let Me In, Hugo, Dark Shadows, Carrie, If I Stay.
February 11 - Jennifer Aniston - is an American actress, producer, and businesswoman, as well as everybody's favorite friend!
February 20 - Rihanna - is a Barbadian singer and songwriter.
February 21 - Ellen Page - is a Canadian actress.
Where it can be found
Garnet is found all over the world and you can find different types of garnet in different countries.
Almandine garnet star-stones are found in India and the USA. Spessartite: Brazil, China, Kenya, Madagascar, Myanmar (Burma), Namibia, Sri Lanka, Tanzania and the USA.
The best specimens come from Namibia and are called "Mandarin spessartine (spessartite)".
- Garnet may be given as a gem on the 2nd and 6th wedding anniversary.
- Garnet occurs in every color except blue and most varieties are named for their color.
- Garnet's powers include healing, strength, and protection and it is often worn to relieve inflammations of the skin.
- Garnet is also believed to regulate the heart and blood flow and aid in curing depression.
Garnet is a fiery-red gemstone that was once believed to grant the wearer protection from nightmares, ghosts and ghouls. Garnet is blood red in color and means perseverance, truth, patience and consistency. It is said to signify eternal friendship and trust.
Although most people think that garnets are only red in color, but garnets come in a variety of colors like pink, green, yellow, violet and orange.
Famous Women with January Birthdays
January 9 - Kate Middleton - everybody's favorite British princess - Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
January 19 - Dolly Parton is an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, actress, author, businesswoman, and philanthropist, known primarily for her work in country music.
January 25 - Alicia Keys is American singer, songwriter, pianist and actress.
January 26 - Ellen Degeneres is an American comedian, television host, actress, writer, and producer.
January 29 - Oprah Winfrey - is an American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer, and philanthropist.