January Birthstone - Garnet
Today, the garnet can be found in a range of jewelry pieces and styles, from beautiful rings to stunning tiaras. Since garnet gemstones can come in a range of colors, rare garnets in green or blue make breathtaking pieces, especially in pendants or drop earrings.
Where it can be found
Garnet is found all over the world and you can find different types of garnet in different countries.
Almandine garnet star-stones are found in India and the USA. Spessartite: Brazil, China, Kenya, Madagascar, Myanmar (Burma), Namibia, Sri Lanka, Tanzania and the USA.
The best specimens come from Namibia and are called "Mandarin spessartine (spessartite)".
- Garnet may be given as a gem on the 2nd and 6th wedding anniversary.
- Garnet occurs in every color except blue and most varieties are named for their color.
- Garnet's powers include healing, strength, and protection and it is often worn to relieve inflammations of the skin.
- Garnet is also believed to regulate the heart and blood flow and aid in curing depression.
- Garnet is the name of a group of minerals that come in a rainbow of colors, from the deep red of the pyrope garnet to the vibrant green of tsavorites. Some rare garnets are even blue, colorless, or—most rare of all—change colors in different lights. But the most common garnet color is a beautiful range of reds, from rust colored to deep violet-red.
- The garnet is a very durable gemstone, ranking 6.5-7.5 on the Mohs scale. It is found all over the world, including Wyoming, Czech Republic, Greece, Russia, Tanzania, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, and India. Mandarin Spessartite Garnets, also known as Mandarin garnets, are considered to be the most rare and expensive of all garnet gemstones.
- The word “garnet” comes from the 14th century Middle English word gernet, meaning “dark red.” The word is derived from Latin granatum, which means “seed,” and is called so because of the gemstone’s resemblance to the beautifully red seeds of the pomegranate.
Garnet is a fiery-red gemstone that was once believed to grant the wearer protection from nightmares, ghosts and ghouls. Garnet is blood red in color and means perseverance, truth, patience and consistency. It is said to signify eternal friendship and trust.
Although most people think that garnets are only red in color, but garnets come in a variety of colors like pink, green, yellow, violet and orange.
Famous Women with January Birthdays
January 9 - Kate Middleton - everybody's favorite British princess - Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
January 19 - Dolly Parton is an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, actress, author, businesswoman, and philanthropist, known primarily for her work in country music.
January 25 - Alicia Keys is American singer, songwriter, pianist and actress.
January 26 - Ellen Degeneres is an American comedian, television host, actress, writer, and producer.
January 29 - Oprah Winfrey - is an American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer, and philanthropist.
Popular January Birthstone
Raw Garnet Gemstone Necklace
Two Birthstones Cluster Necklace
Small Infinity Drop Necklace
Small Infinity Drop Necklace
Winter Birthstone Rings
January FreebieJust click on the image below to get your birthstone print! See different ways to style them HERE.