December Birthstones - Blue Topaz and Turquoise
Where it can be found
- Turquoise - It can be mined in the U.S., Mexico, Iran, Chile, China, and Tibet.
- Blue Topaz - Deposits of topaz have been found in Brazil, Afghanistan, Australia, Myanmar (Burma), China, Germany, Japan, Madagascar, Mexico, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, Ukraine and the USA. Natural light-blue topaz is found in Northern Ireland and the UK.
- For centuries, the most valuable turquoise came from Iran (Persia) but today some specimens mined in the southwestern United States compete with it.
- The Aztecs mined turquoise in an area now known as New Mexico and a significant amount of turquoise comes from Arizona, California and Nevada in the United States.
- Turquoise is often dyed and stabilized with resins to produce a harder stone which retains its color and polish.
Blue Topaz Facts
- There are three main shades of blue topaz – Sky, Swiss and London Blue. Sky and Swiss are on the lighter side while London Blue is a much deeper blue color, almost resembling sapphire.
- When gifted to a loved one, the blue topaz symbolizes eternal love and faithfulness.
The December birthstone, turquoise, is regarded as a love charm. It is also a symbol of good fortune and success, and it is believed to relax the mind and to protect its wearer from harm. Turquoise is one of the oldest known gemstones. Its name comes from the thirteenth century French meaning “Turkish stone.” Although the gemstone itself was known before that. Its color may by the signature greenish blue which has come to refer to that color even separate from the stone, through to a sky blue. Its transparency may range from translucent to opaque.
The other December birthstone is blue topaz. This versatile gemstone is attributed to strength, vitality and clarity, and comes in a wide variety of beautiful iridescent colors.
Famous Women with December Birthdays
December 3 - Julianne Moore - American-British actress, prolific in films since the early 1990s.
December 9 - Judi Dench - English actress and author.
December 17 - Milla Jovovich - American actress, model, musician, and fashion designer.
December 18 - Christina Aguilera - American singer, songwriter, actress and television personality.
December 21 - Jane Fonda - American actress, writer, political activist, former fashion model and fitness guru.