October Birthstones - Opal and Pink Tourmaline
Where it can be found
- Most of the precious opal deposits that have been discovered are in Australia. The mines of Australia produce at least 90% of the world's precious opal.
- In addition to Brazil, tourmaline is mined in Tanzania, Nigeria, Kenya, Madagascar,Mozambique, Namibia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Malawi.
- Opal is formed from rain. There is some conjecture on how exactly this precious gemstone forms, but many believe it is formed when water from rain seeps down into crevasses in the rock. Once the water evaporates, the silica that is left behind dries out and hardens into precious opal.
- Opal has been found on Mars! It is one of only a handful of gemstones that have ever been discovered outside of our planet (the other being Peridot from outer space).
- Bi-colored and multicolored tourmaline may be green at one end and pink at the other, watermelon tourmaline is green on the outside and pink on the inside.
- Tourmaline is available in a wide variety of colors from black to bluish-black, dark brown, yellow, medium brown, blue to neon blue, lime to dark forest green, red and reddish purple, yellow, pink, and colorless.
The October birthstone, opal, symbolizes faithfulness and confidence. The word comes from the Latin opalus, meaning “precious jewel.” Necklaces with opals set in them were worn to repel evil and to protect eyesight.
The October birthstone is also pink tourmaline. These gemstones are a symbol for love, peace and joy. They represent the energy of relaxation by transforming negative energy into positive.
Tourmaline – Tourmaline has become the primary birthstone of October. It is also a favorite among jewelry collectors and jewelry designers alike. The reason is because Tourmaline can be found in such an array of colors that there is something to suit almost anyone’s taste. Tourmalines are also known for their bi-color and tri-color forms, meaning that 2 or even 3 different colors exist distinctly within the same gemstone.
Opal – Opals are the older birthstone of October and they are still extremely popular and well-regarded for their colorful beauty and radiance. Opal derives from the Greek meaning “to see a change” of color. Opals change appearance depending on their backgrounds and the base gemstone itself vary widely in color from milky white all the way through to black.
Famous Women with October Birthdays
October 2 - Kelly Ripa - American actress, dancer, talk show host, and television producer.
October 18 - Freida Pinto - Indian actress who has appeared mainly in American and British films.
October 21 - Carrie Fisher - was an American actress, writer, and humorist. She first become known for playing Princess Leia in the Star Wars film series.
October 26 - Rita Wilson - American actress, singer, activist, and producer.
October 28 - Julia Roberts - American actress and producer.