October Birthstones - Pink Quartz
Numerous stones are considered October birthstones. Among them are an opal, a pink tourmaline and a pink quartz. Here, at Silver&Ivy, we use a beautiful light pink quartz as a birthstone of choice.
Where it can be found
- The chief source of rose quartz is Brazil, though it is also prevalent in Madagascar, South Africa, Mozambique, India, Japan and the United States (Maine and South Dakota).
- In addition to Brazil, tourmaline is mined in Tanzania, Nigeria, Kenya, Madagascar, Mozambique, Namibia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Malawi.
- Most of the precious opal deposits that have been discovered are in Australia. The mines of Australia produce at least 90% of the world's precious opal.
Pink Quartz Facts
- Pink quartz is a translucent variety of quartz. Depending on the depth of the stone and the minerals it contains, the colour may vary from a blush pale, pale pink to a dark rosy dusky pink.
- This stone is rarely found as a crystal and is far more common in massive forms. This allows exceedingly large gemstones to be cut from it.
- Pink quartz is a very popular stone for jewelry use due to it's beauty and durability.
- The stone is considered an ideal five-year anniversary wedding gift.
Pink Tourmaline Facts
- Amongst gemstones, tourmaline is available in the widest spectrum of colors. There are even varieties of color in pink tourmaline itself. The most popular is a Watermelon Tourmaline named for its pink center surrounded by an outer green “rind.”
- Pink tourmaline ranges between 7-7.5 on the Mohs hardness scale that makes it ideal for birthstone jewelry, which must both be durable and wear well.
- Although tourmaline may be found on every continent, fine crystal specimens and gems are still considered rare and can be quite expensive.
- Opal is formed from rain. There is some conjecture on how exactly this precious gemstone forms, but many believe it is formed when water from rain seeps down into crevasses in the rock. Once the water evaporates, the silica that is left behind dries out and hardens into precious opal.
- Most opals are valued for their shifting colors in rainbow hues - a phenomenon known as “play-of-color.” They change appearance depending on their backgrounds.
- Opal has been found on Mars! It is one of only a handful of gemstones that have ever been discovered outside of our planet (the other being Peridot from outer space).
Pink quartz has become the primary birthstone of October. It is believed to enhance love, compassion, nurturing and all matters of the heart. It is also said to balance the emotions, thus giving inner peace and harmony. This precious stone can calm aggression and resentment while increasing self-esteem and self-confidence.
Pink tourmaline is a symbol of love, peace and joy. It represents the energy of relaxation by transforming negative energy into positive. Tourmaline helps polarize people's emotions, heals a broken heart and produce compassion and wisdom when dealing with others.
Opals are the older birthstones of October associating with loyalty, faithfulness and confidence. The word comes from the Latin “opalus” meaning “precious jewel.” Necklaces with opals set in them were worn to repel evil and to protect eyesight.
Famous Women with October Birthdays
October 2 - Kelly Ripa - American actress, dancer, talk show host, and television producer.
October 8 - Bella Thorne - American actress, singer, author, model and dancer.
October 11 - Cardi B - American rapper
October 21 - Kim Kardashian - American television and social media personality.
October 25 - Katy Perry - American singer, songwriter and actress.
October 26 - Rita Wilson - American actress, singer, activist, and producer.
October 28 - Julia Roberts - American actress and producer.
Just click on the images below to get your birthstone prints!