November Birthstone - Topaz, Citrine and Yellow Sapphire
Where it can be found
- Topaz can be found in various areas including the Ural and Ilmen mountains of Russia as well as the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Japan, Sweden, Italy and Norway.
- Most Citrine comes from Brazil, but almost all of the Brazilian material is heat-treated amethyst. Natural citrine though can be found in the Ural Mountains of Russia, in Dauphine, France, and in Madagascar.
- Yellow Sapphires are found in Tanzania, Madagascar, Thailand and Australia, although Sri Lanka is the primary source.
- Topaz grows as a crystal mineral in various granite rocks, and in lava flows. This stone in its natural state is a golden brown to yellow.
- Topaz is one of the hardest naturally occurring minerals. This hardness combined with its usual transparency and variety of colors means that it has acquired wide use in jewelry as a cut gemstone.
- Imperial Topaz that has a reddish-orange tone is considered the most valuable stone and is so rare that less than 1% of all gem-quality topazes exhibit this color.
- Though topaz is the official birthstone of November, the alternative birthstone is golden citrine. Unlike other month's alternative birthstones that often differ entirely from the official birthstone, citrine and topaz are so similar that they are often confused.
- The name Citrine comes from the old French word “citrin,” which means lemon.
- Citrine is a variety of quartz ranging in color from a pastel yellow through a golden orange and into dark, brownish orange. Citrine crystals can form together with amethyst or smoky quartz to form bi-colored quartz called ametrine.
- Almost all citrine that is available on the market today is heat-treated amethyst. Natural citrine is a pale yellow to pale orange, much lighter than the heat-treated material which is dark orange-brown and has a red tint.
- Citrine is recognized as the preferred gift for the 13th anniversary.
Yellow Sapphire Facts
- Yellow Sapphire sports a yellow color that’s triggered by the drop element iron. The brighter and purer the color, the more valuable the stone is.
- This gem is the second hardest natural stone used in jewelry after diamond, thanks to its rank of 9 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness.
- Yellow sapphires are recognized as some of the most beautiful and bright stones that come in very clean large sizes. For this reason, among others, yellow sapphire engagement rings are on-trend in 2020-2021.
- Yellow Sapphire is famous for its unique healing properties apart from being known as a lucky stone which helps to improve financial status. It can be worn by people of all star signs as it is quite safe and has no ill effects.
The name Topaz comes from the Sanskrit and means fire. This November birthstone symbolizes love and affection and is associated with loyalty, friendship, and faithfulness, making it an ideal gift for a wedding or anniversary. It is believed to give the wearer increased strength and intellect.
The other November birthstone, Citrine, is often referred to as “the healing quartz” for the belief that it helps support health, hope, energy, and warmth in the wearer. The gemstone’s yellow color is associated with lightheartedness and cheerfulness and is believed to raise one’s mood and encourage happiness and laughter.
Yellow Sapphire is known to strengthen the immune system of the body by improving the blood circulation and increasing the function of the liver and pancreas. This stone also increases concentration and helps in achieving academic success. Perfect to be worn by students and scientific professionals.
Famous Women with November Birthdays
November 3 - Kendall Jenner - American television personality and model.
November 5 - Tilda Swinton - British actress, performance artist, model, and fashion muse, known for her roles in independent and Hollywood films.
November 6 - Emma Stone - American actress.
November 13 - Whoopi Goldberg - American comedian, actress, author and television host.
November 22 - Scarlett Johansson - American actress, model, and singer.
November 23 - Miley Cyrus - American singer, songwriter, and actress.